- Order at least one set of the shortlisted books. The more sets you have, the more reading you'll have!
- Put a poster up in your Library (see Resources page).
- Explore the website, especially the links on the Shortlists 2019 page (shortlist for 2019 to be announced in December). Encourage the students to do likewise.
- Have a good look at the shortlisted books when they arrive and familiarise yourself with the material. They are all fantastic and they're yours to keep forever!
- Form a Reading & Rating Group. This can be made up of whatever body of students you like. The shortlist was deliberately chosen with books to appeal to boys and to girls, to reluctant readers and to more able readers. There's something for everyone there.
- Photocopy or print out plenty of the Rating Forms (see the Resources page).
- Students should complete a Rating Form after every book read. Rather than students simply voting for their favourite book they will be asked to judge each title on its own merits. This should level the playing field and ensure that any of the titles could win the award!
- My recommendation would be that all Reading & Rating Groups should begin no later than Monday 28th January 2019 but if you've got your books in and you're all ready to go there is no reason why you can't start sooner if you want to.
- The final deadline for the return of ALL Rating Forms is Tuesday 30th April 2019. Please return them to 3 Northwood Place, Wadsley Park Village, Sheffield, S6 1RA.
- Although the Reading & Rating process will identify the winning books from the four shortlists, there is also the True Believers Award for the school that returns the most Rating Forms and the JABBICA (Judge A Book By Its Cover Award) to decide the best book cover, voted for by Librarians and Teachers only. 2019 will also see the introduction of the 'Nuff Said Award, a new award for the Best School Library Excelsior Award Display.
- The Awards Ceremony will be on 19th June 2019 at Trent College in Nottingham.
- Registration for 2020 will open in October 2019.
Thank you very much to every school participating!